Senior Manager, Software Development
Supervise the engineering and resource-related activities for the ACOM Software Engineering group to ensure that all Zetron Acom development projects meet or exceed strategic development objectives including quality and timelines
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage engineering teams in the development of requirements, architecture, system design, and software implementation for products/systems that meet high-quality mission-critical application standards.
- Coordinate engineering efforts with other Engineering Managers and cross-functional stakeholders to ensure the successful delivery of systems and products. Collaborative effectively across the company to achieve goals.
- Ensure that engineering projects conform to the Zetron-defined development methodologies, standards, and other processes, as appropriate, to maximize the efficiency of engineering resources.
- Lead in the creation and adoption of Engineering policies and processes which further system quality and corporate profitability, in a hybrid hardware/firmware/software product environment.
- Lead the adoption of Agile techniques and practices to achieve frequent delivery of high-value software.
- Identify and lead the implementation of strategies to allow a common solution to support a range of hosting environments including virtualization, container, and cloud.
- Manage and allocate resources across multiple engineering projects to achieve a sustainable pace of high productivity and to ensure fulfilment of delivery commitments.
- Develop and implement strategies to identify and mitigate problems to complete projects on time and within budget.
- Interact with cross functional teams and other departments to define application requirements, necessary enhancements, address technical debt in an organized fashion, and support Zetron products in the field.
- Provide guidance and goal setting for team members to encourage personal and professional development, learning, and advancement in their design and development skills.
- Hire, develop and manage the performance of staff members to build a healthy and high-performing team.
- Perform the job functions in a safe manner.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Other duties as assigned by the Company.
- Demonstrable advanced engineering knowledge of software systems analysis, design, implementation, and full project life-cycle management including Agile methods and practices.
- Broad technical background including experience with programming languages, operating systems, networking protocols (TCP, HTTP, SIP, VoIP, ReST, etc.) and communications systems (e.g. telecom, telephony, RF)
- Experience with Windows and Linux programming.
- Experience with modern application hosting environments including virtualization, containerization, and cloud.
- Exposure to orchestration solutions such as Kubernetes, Docker or similar.
- Experience with CI/CD pipeline implementation and optimization.
- Solid understanding of cybersecurity coding best practices such as OWASP Top 10.
- Ideally have familiarity with real time media processing.
- Advanced knowledge of Application Lifecycle Management, including tools such as Jira or MS Azure DevOps
- Ability to develop and implement best practices for the entire software life cycle.
- Solid understanding of software project management, project cost accounting methodology, requirements specification and scheduling methods.
- Ability to balance business objectives and time-to-market requirements against system design and implementation goals.
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills, with ability to balance tactical and strategic thinking.
- Strong leadership, organizational, and personnel supervisory skills, with ability to relate to, and influence all team members, and to work effectively with all levels of coworkers and customers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with ability to convey technical and project information clearly and accurately to a variety of audiences through documents, email/IM, conversations, and formal presentations.
- Ability to efficiently achieve results in fast paced team environment. Comfortable dealing with ambiguity.
- Knowledge of and proficiency with a variety of word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation software (MS Word, Excel, Access, and Powerpoint)..
Experience and Education
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or other related field.
- Minimum six (6) years of experience in a product development environment as a senior level design engineer, including three (3) years of experience managing a software team.
- Must have demonstrable experience in advanced design and development of complex system software.
- Must have supervised/lead a team of at least ten (10) engineers through the successful development of a complex product, managing the complete cradle-to-grave project life cycle, including support of products in the field.
- Or any combination of education and experience that provides the same expertise.
This job description is designed to outline the primary functions and qualifications of this position. This definition does not limit the employee or Zetron to just the areas described. It does not identify all tasks that may be required or address performance expectations, nor does it limit Zetron from changing the content.